Merit Council Awards are given annually to local councils who meet guidelines established by the Iowa Reading Association. Completed booklets are due to the Merit Council Chairperson by May 1.
Congratulations to the following councils for achieving Merit Council status in 2018-2019:
- Boone-Story Reading Council
- Eastern Iowa Reading Council
- Hardy Reading Council
- Midlands of Iowa Reading Council (MIRC)
- Northeast Iowa Reading Council (NEIRC)
- READ (Reading Educators Association of Dubuque)
- Three Rivers Reading Council
Merit Councils for 2019-2020
Each year the local reading councils in our state have the opportunity to participate in Iowa Reading Association’s Merit Council Award program. In order to be considered for the award, a council must complete 6 required items and at least 10 optional items within 4 categories:
- Support of the Iowa Reading Association
- Support of the International Reading Association
Councils must be in good standing, which means that local council officers are members of both the Iowa Reading Association and the International Reading Association.
Councils should submit the list of completed guidelines to the Merit Council Chairperson by May 1, 2020. These may be submitted as a paper copy or filed electronically. Councils receiving Merit Council status will receive a stipend of $100.
Please direct any questions to Merit Book Chairperson, Renae Wilkening at email@example.com